This Chicken Soup Recipe is so EASY that anyone could do it and will have you or your loved one feeling better in no time. I have included the fast prep version and regular version because I know sometimes parents don’t have the time or energy for too much prep time.
The Perfect Soup for When You’re Feeling Sick
Chicken soup is the best medicine for when you or your loved ones are feeling under the weather. This stuff is way better for you than anything you could buy in a can or get from Tim Hortons. That is because the ingredients have specifically been proven to help reduce the symptoms and severity of colds while still tasting delicious.
This recipe is baby friendly for babies who are over 8 months old and can be modified for 6 months simply by pureeing in a blender. I served this to my baby several times after he was able to eat small pieces of chicken on his own.
The recipe could also be modified to work in the Instant Pot. I would cook the chicken for 18-24 hours to make a bone broth which has great nutrients to help you feel better.
- 7-8 chicken thighs/legs fresh or frozen (I used 1 Valley Farms frozen organic chicken thighs package)
- 2 cups small pasta (I used PC Organics ABC + 123 for 8+ months)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional for adults only)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional for adults only)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 package of frozen onion/carrot/celery mix
- Teaspoon of garlic powder (the real stuff is better if you have time to peel it)
- Teaspoon of Herbs de Provence OR dried Rosemary and Thyme
- 1 red onion – diced
- 3-4 celery sticks – finely chopped
- 2-3 carrots or 2 handfuls of baby carrots – finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves – pressed or finely chopped
- Fresh Rosemary and Thyme
- Fresh Parsley (optional)
Cover chicken with water in a large pot and bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes. Bring the temperature down, add the turmeric, paprika, garlic, herbs, and any optional ingredients. Simmer for 1-2 hours.
In the last 15 minutes, add the vegetables. Then add the pasta according to the box instructions, usually about 12 minutes or so.
You’re done! Now you have a delicious, wholesome soup for you and your family.
Simply take the chicken off the bone and let it cool down a bit for your little one to enjoy.
Please let me know what you think in the comments section.